AWL Sublist 1b - Practice Exercises
(words 11-20)

These pages provide you with practice with the academic word list - the most common words found in academic texts.

This will help you with your reading, writing, speaking, and listening.

These are words 11 - 20 from sublist 1.

Constitute
Context
Contract
Create
Data
Definition
Derived 
Distribution
Economic
Environment

Exercise 1

Which of the above AWL words do you know? Match the definitions to the word:

1. the air, water and land in or on which people, animals and plants live

2. to form or make up something

3. information, especially facts or numbers

4. the system of trade and industry by which the wealth of a country is made and used

5. to say what the meaning of something, especially a word, is

6. to make something new, especially to invent something

7. to get something from something else

8. the situation within which something exists or happens, and that can help explain it

9. a legal document that states and explains a formal agreement

10. to give something out to several people, or to spread or supply something

Score =

Academic Word List Exercises 1 - Correct answers:



Exercise 2

Choose which word will fit in the gap:

1. The was/were collected by various researchers.

2. The institute most of its money from foreign investments. It gets only a small amount from domestic investments.

3. Women about 10% of Parliament. Men make up the remaining 90%.

4. Tourism contributes millions of pounds to the country's . It has helped prevent the country from going into recession.

5. In this dictionary 'reality' is as 'the state of things as they are, rather than as they are imagined to be'.

6. They could take legal action against you if you break (the terms of) the .

7. Certain chemicals have been banned because of their damaging effect on the .

8. The Bible says that God the world.

9. It is important to see all the fighting and bloodshed in his plays in historical .

10. The books will be free to local schools. They are given out for free because schools do not have much money to spend.

Score =

Academic Word List Exercises 2 - Correct answers:



Return from AWL Sublist 1b to Vocabulary

 

 

New! Comments

Any questions or comments about this page or about IELTS?

Post your comment here.

New! Comments

Any questions or comments about this page or about IELTS?

Post your comment here.

Links to Sublist Exercises

Sublist 1:

Practice words 1-10

Practice words 11-20

Practice words 21-30

Practice words 31-40

Practice words 41-50

Practice words 51-60

Sublist 2:

Practice words 1-10

Practice words 11-20

Practice words 21-30

Practice words 31-40

Practice words 41-50

Practice words 51-60

Sublist 3:

Practice words 1-10

Practice words 11-20

Practice words 21-30

Practice words 31-40

Practice words 41-50

Practice words 51-60

Sublist 4:

Practice words 1-10

Practice words 11-20

Practice words 21-30

Practice words 31-40

Practice words 41-50

Practice words 51-60

Sublist 5:

Practice words 1-10

Practice words 11-20

Practice words 21-30

Practice words 31-40

Practice words 41-50

Practice words 51-60

Sublist 6:

Practice words 1-10

Practice words 11-20

Practice words 21-30

Practice words 31-40

Practice words 41-50

Practice words 51-60

Sublist 7:

Practice words 1-10

Practice words 11-20

Practice words 21-30

Practice words 31-40

Practice words 41-50

Practice words 51-60

Sublist 8:

Practice words 1-10

Practice words 11-20

Practice words 21-30

Practice words 31-40

Practice words 41-50

Practice words 51-60

Sublist 9:

Practice words 1-10

Practice words 11-20

 


 




Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure. I promise to use it only to send you Updates to IELTS buddy.