IELTS Speaking Questions and Answers
This lesson is a quiz using IELTS speaking questions and answers to provide you with some general tips on successfully answering questions for part one of the IELTS speaking test.
In part one of the test, you are asked general questions about yourself - follow this link to view example part one questions if you do not know what to expect.
You'll be asked about 12 questions in part one of the test, and these will be taken from three different sets of topics which the examiner will choose.
For example you could be asked about:
- Your home town
- Your favourite holiday destination
- What kinds of books you like to read
So you'll have about four questions on each of these.
Giving the Best Responses
Now, take this 'IELTS Speaking Questions and Answers Quiz' to see if you know what is the best way to respond in this part of the test.
Decide which answer you think is the best, then click on the letter to see if you are right.
Part One IELTS Speaking Questions and Answers
Choose the best answer:
You should have learned the following from the quiz:
Stay on topic
- Listen carefully to the question and make sure you are answering it. Don't talk about something completely different just so you can talk for longer.
Extend your answers
- Give reasons for your answer. This can be a useful way to extend your responses. Always explain WHY you have given the answer that you have.
Don't speak excessively
- Extend your answers but don't go on too much. This will only mean the examiner will have to keep interrupting you to move onto the next questions.
Be honest but positive
- Try to remain upbeat and positive even if you are saying you don't do things or don't enjoy things you are being asked about. You can always put a positive slant on your answers.
More IELTS Speaking Lessons:
Band 7+ eBooks
"I think these eBooks are FANTASTIC!!! I know that's not academic language, but it's the truth!"
Linda, from Italy, Scored Band 7.5
Before you go...don't miss getting the score you need!
Check out the IELTS buddy
Band 7+ eBooks
View the eBooks
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.
New! CommentsAny questions or comments about this page or about IELTS? Post your comment here.