Use of tenses in the IELTS Academic Task 1
When do we use the future tense for graphs?
If a line graph shows some data in future (e.g. till 2025), must we use future simple tense for the period of years 2015 - 2025?
Thanks in advance.
past, present and future.
by Yagoub Matar
IELTS table that include past years and coming years. what tenses being used over time?
e.g. the oil, gas and solar by percentage for minstry of Energy and petroleum, 40, 45 and 70 in the years 2016/17, 2017/18 and 2018/19
Usage of the Past Perfect Continuous Tense
Please help me about usage of past perfect continuous tense with the upward/downward trends.
İs it ok to use it like below?
1) temperatures had been decreasing 4 celsius approximately since hottest day of the week
2) temperatures was decreasing 4 celsius approximately as of the hottest day of the week
3) The total amount of bike usage had been decreasing between 1960 and 2000.
4) or should ı use "was on decrease" with 3
What tense Should I use in writing task 1?
Because it was observed almost always past tenses have been used in the model answers.
Using the Present Perfect
by Hai Anh
When surfing, I find this page which has useful language for IELTS writing task 1:
Everything seems correct but these examples make me so confused:
"In general, the employment opportunity has increased till 1970 and has dropped down afterwards."
"The overall sale of the company has increased by 20% at the end of the year."
Why does he use present perfect?
Appropriate Tense in Writing Task 1 & 2?
What is the suitable (tense) that can be used in writing both task 1 & 2?
Meaning to avoid as much as possible grammar mistakes?
tense and voice, percentage points, line graphs
1) are we allowed to use perfect tense and passive voice in task 1?
2) if a figure increases from 10% to 15%, are we supposed to write increase by 5 percentage points or by 5%?
3) for line graphs, can we describe each line separately?